A Recipe inspired by my friend Fred Gaune in Aix en Provence.
* 1 lb. spaghetti
* 1 cups of whole, shelled pistachios
* Some anchovies
* 1 onion
* 3 cloves garlic
* olive oil
* Some breadcrumbs
* grated parmigiano cheese
1. Boil salted water for your pasta with alittle oil in it.
2. Dice the onion and garlic
3. Heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan
4. Saute your onion until translucent, add your garlic and saute until soft (about 1-2 minutes)
5. Put your sauteed onions and garlic in the food processor with the pistachios, pastis and olive oil to start until it looks like a thin pesto.
6. Add your pasta to the boiling water and cook till al dente
7. Rough chop those extra handful of pistachios
8. Heat up another pan and lightly toast your breadcrumbs – reserve on the side after they are toasted
9. Add your pistachio sauce back to the saute pan and put heat on low-medium. When the sauce is warming, add more anchovies.
9.5 Have a glass of red wine...
10. When your pasta are cooked, drain them and add them pasta with to the warm pistachio sauce. Toss in a laddle or two of the pasta cooking water.
11. Add 4 extra anchovies, black pepper, parmigiano cheese and the toasted breadcrumbs. Stir until well covered with sauce.
12. Put your pasta in a beautiful dish, sprinkle some chopped pistachios on top. Enjoy your meal in good company...
Cooked at Travis Page's, Auburn, Alabama, on October 3, 2010.